søndag den 13. oktober 2013

Social Media Draft (Brain dump)


The last time you engaged in the social media – meaningful or not.
The last thing you did?
What was the last social media you engaged in – a recent social media activity.

My last meaningful social media interaction must be my tweets during the summer, where I started tweeting during my vacation in France. I started to tweet about things that had my interest, but compared to my former tweets, these where of a more serious character. 
Why?
Several of my friends had started to "share knowledge" or at least pretended to be 'wise' on topics such as NFL, Superligaen - which encouraged me to join and '"play" along.
Therefore, I ended up "teaching" the world nonsense and information of no matter. Detailed information, content without any meaningful point - still I contributed to the twitter world.
The transition form an undergraduate to a grad student changed my view on twitter - my new approach for this short term of time was now more serious. My voice now had a meaning.

As I stated earlier, I stopped my active and serious twitter approach after a couple of weeks, as I felt it didn’t suited me very well - I was pretending to be someone I wasn't. Smarter - knowing things, some more useless than other. My ‘wise’ knowledge and view upon things were now shared with the rest of the world. Trying to contribute and being a part of the whole twitter/hashtag world didn't suit me.
Accessible account - everyone can follow you. Public person in the hunt for followers, the right hashtags and receiving recognition from other "experts on twitter - retweets!
Actually, I have had twitter for quite a long time, but never used the media seriously. Always seen the media as a 'put and take' fishing park - where I only went fishing, but never returned anything. 
Then, I changed my twitter approach to a more internal use - just for friends. The outside world wouldn't make any sense of these internal jokes among my twitter friends, which by that time only existed of friends from the offline world. 
I have never participated in a larger nationwide discussion or debate regarding a topic, which had the interest of mine. It was fun - but it took time getting use to.
I believe it requires being open-minded offline in order to be 'public' online. Pretending is not an option - it has to fit your personality. If you are a 'loud' person offline - commenting and debating regardless of the audience - the twitter world might suit you better than me

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar